Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2009

More than a student

“Learn not just with your mind but also with your heart”


I could still remember my first day in school as a nursery student. My mother told me that I should strive hard to be the best in class. She said that I should be attentive and active in every discussion to get a star which corresponds to a high grade. If I’ll do, I’ll have the chance to get medals, certificates or trophies. These awards were the most important possessions of a student as what mother said. That is why I aimed for it before. I studied so hard every night just to become an honor student or at least get one certificate. I focused on investing in my mind not knowing that I lost my time as a true student. I never become a simple student who experiences every little joy in learning. I was forced to study by the obligations and dreams that are meant for recognition. Yes, I was blinded by the fame and prestige that I can I get from being an honor student. I thought these were my way of learning everything. But then I realized that I forgot to feel the reality as a child. Because of too much perseverance to be on top, I forgot the word ‘socialization’. I didn’t experience to be a simple yet happy student who can roam around the whole campus and play with my classmates. I never experienced to be punished and scolded by our teacher. These little things were needed in the developing process of one contented child. I realized that academics were not the only things that I should invest for because all those simple experiences in everyday life of a student can also give me the knowledge and happiness that I can use in dealing with my future career. Those students’ experiences outside the four corners of classrooms are important in learning the realities of life. If we already learned it, then, we have the guts to face any obstacles and success. Burning the midnight oil is not just for recognition but also for gaining memorable moments of our life which leads to happiness and contentment. We should not just try to become a man of knowledge but also to become a man of value.

On the other hand before, I thought that the most effective way of cognition and developing my abilities was to memorize everything. My mind was bounded between the cover of the book. I memorized every single letter, every single point and every single line. That is why if we have examinations, I can make it perfect. But here comes my waterloo. I realized that my mind can only retain what I’ve memorized in just one or two days. And also, In terms of applying what I’ve learned, I do have the hard time to answer. Reality strikes me. I’m not an intelligent student. I’m just a studious copy cat of those books. I am like a robot that can receive and repeat any inputs without any feelings from the heart like numb creature. Now I know that the true meaning of learning is memorizing not in your mind but in your heart.

In learning, it is not always good to do what you love. Many students like me tend to choose things that they like. They say that it would be easy for them to learn if they want the things they are doing. Yes, it would be a good way of getting your goal since you are happy with it. But we need to take in considerations that we can learn more effectively if we will not choose our forte. In every action that we’ll do for the sake of developing ourselves, we need to be challenge and choose harder things to learn more. We need to discover everything and learn to the fullest. If you wanted to attain happiness in learning, then, expand your knowledge by taking the risk of harder lessons. But if you want your knowledge to be stagnant, then, choose what you like to do.

True happiness and easiness of learning comes from liking what you are doing not in doing what you like. And that is the most effective way of enjoying your studies. We need not to learn for the sake of doing it but rather we need to learn for the sake of gaining something.

No comments: